Thursday, June 4, 2015

Something in the Water

Whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” (John 4:14 NIV)

Water. It's something that we use every day and that most of us probably take for granted. The moment you step off of the plane in Ecuador, you are given bottled water. Every time you turn around, someone is telling you to drink water, but never drink it from the faucet... not even to brush your teeth. When you take a shower, don't let it get in your mouth. I have never stopped to think how difficult those things would be to do until this week.  The water in Ecuador has a distinct smell to it and has parasites in it that are very dangerous. Why is water the topic of today's blog you ask?  It has been a major part of our trip both physically and spiritually. 

This morning, before going to our site, we visited Little Seeds of God, a daycare facility a few of our team members worked on many years ago. I do not think I can adequately describe just how impoverished this area is and you grasp what I am talking about, so I will show you. 

Some of these "houses" have no windows, some have holes as windows but no glass to protect from the elements, and some have corrugated metal roofs being held down by whatever they can find with some weight to it. Prior to the daycare opening the women would leave their children, no matter the age, home alone to fend for themselves for the better part of 14 hours a day. Some children would be tied up like animals for the entire day so that they could not wander off. José really put it into perspective when we pulled up and saw a donkey tied up on the side of the road and he told us to imagine that was a child. Talk about a huge pill to swallow. 
You can see the donkey at the far left of the photo in the background. 

Once inside the daycare, it was such a blessing to hear all of the children so happy!  They have several areas for each age between one and three. When we arrived they were eating breakfast, and oh what a sight to see!  The sweet faces so innocent and vulnerable.  To think that they were not safe very long ago.  Now they sing, they laugh, they play. 
I took more video than anything because of the sounds we heard. Hopefully I will get to post those soon!

When the daycare was built it had a state of the art kitchen in it, but the government made the daycare remove it due to safety issues. So now, Lady, the director of the center, moved it next door and is also serving meals to people in the community. 
The biggest shallots ever!  

As we were leaving the daycare, Lee and I were talking and she said that the Carrie Underwood song "Something in the Water" has been in her head all week.  That is why I chose to title this blog the same. If you haven't heard the song, here are the lyrics:

He said, "I've been where you've been before.
Down every hallway's a slamming door.
No way out, no one to come and save me.
Wasting a life that the Good Lord gave me.

Then somebody said what I'm saying to you,
Opened my eyes and told me the truth."
They said, "Just a little faith, it'll all get better."
So I followed that preacher man down to the river and now I'm changed
And now I'm stronger

There must've been something in the water
Oh, there must've been something in the water

Well, I heard what he said and I went on my way
Didn't think about it for a couple of days
Then it hit me like a lightning late one night
I was all out of hope and all out of fight

Couldn't fight back the tears so I fell on my knees
Saying, "God, if you're there come and rescue me."
Felt love pouring down from above
Got washed in the water, washed in the blood and now I'm changed
And now I'm stronger

There must be something in the water
Oh, there must be something in the water

And now I'm singing along to amazing grace
Can't nobody wipe this smile off my face
Got joy in my heart, angels on my side
Thank God almighty, I saw the light
Gonna look ahead, no turning back
Live every day, give it all that I have
Trust in someone bigger than me
Ever since the day that I believed I am changed
And now I'm stronger

There must be something in the water (amazing grace)
Oh, there must be something in the water (how sweet the sound)
Oh, there must be something in the water (that saved a wretch)
Oh, there must be something in the water (like me)
Oh, yeah

I am changed (I once was lost)
Stronger (but now I'm found)
(was blind but now I see)

She is right. What a fitting song for the week.  Once you accept the Water of Christ, it changes everything. And better yet, once you realize that if you do all things in the name of the Lord, no one can take that joy away from you. 

After the daycare, we headed back to our site for more VBS and construction. We had older kids today, and they seemed to be just as appreciative and accepting as the younger ones. We let them make cross necklaces and bracelets and they loved it!

Then, the most simple thing to us, but fun to them... Cups. We played with cups the rest of the afternoon and they were perfectly content. 

In our group discussion tonight, we talked about being a team and using our gifts to glorify God. He couldn't have put together a better team for this trip. The gifts each person has contributes so much I can even begin to describe it.

After being here, you start to evaluate life a little different.  Things that you once took for granted are appreciated more, and things that once seemed important become trivial. You realize just how blessed we are to live the lives that we do.  It must be something in the water. 

Please pray that we reach the lost children of the community and help them to see that a life with Christ is wonderful no matter what your circumstances may be.